Malnas first appeared in written documents in 1366, Valea Zalanului is a younger settelement, it was first mentioned in 1740 under the name of Zalanyi Evegcsur. Malnas Bai, as a settlement, appeared only in the middle of the 19th century. Finds from the Bronze and Iron Ages have been excavated in Malnas. Beyond the village, on the Herec-peak we can find the ruins of the early medieval Herecz-castle.
At its excavation a silver denarius of the Hungarian king Andras the 2nd was found, so presumably the castle was built in the 12-13th centuries. In the outskirts of Malnas Bai, on the Nisipos peak Neolithic pottery has been discovered. The Roman road leading to the region of Ciuc followed the Olt's valley. The nearest Roman military camp (castrum) was in a village close to Malnas, namely in Olteni. In 1692 the territory of Valea Zalanului was a wooded area, it belonged to Zalan, and it was called Egyedmezeje. In 1694 a glass-work was run here by theKalnoky family from Valea Crisului. It was the first glasshouse in Transylvania, here were made the multiangular windows of the St. Michael-church at Cluj Napoca and the Black-church at Brasov. In 1860 it was ravaged by a fire, it wasn't rebuilt. Some of its products can be seen in the Szekler National Museum and in the private collection of Karacsony Zoltan. The old names of Malnas Bai were ,,Malnasi-feredo" or ,,Bugyogo", in former times it was owned by the Imreh family. In 1891 thermal baths, in 1896 a' factory of carbon-dioxide and in 1904 a mineral water filling work were built. Since 1907 the whole branch has been owned by the Siculia Co. At the end of the 19th century stone-quarries were opened on the northern part of the village where neo-volcanic andesite was sold as building stone.
Thus stonework started to develop as well. In the period between the two world wars and also between the years 1950-1989 the balneary industry was working, along with the mineral water and carbon-dioxide bottling factory. There was also a sanatorium. The waters of the springs named llona, Mioara, Central and Victoria as well as the water of the Fokut were recommended to the patients for water-drinking. The balneary industry stopped in 1989 with the change of regime. Today mineral water (Perla Covasnei) and carbon-dioxide are bottled. Its distillery has stopped, it has three stone-pits but only one of them is producing. According to its subsoil's hydro-geologic data it contains thermal carbonated mineral water. The inhabitants are employed in agriculture, livestock-breed¬ing and silviculture. The two latter ones are characteristic for the economy of Valea Zalanului as well. In exchange for wood, hay and after-grass the inhabitants get agricultural produces.
Here we can also find several alkaline-salty mineral water springs (Bugyogd, Karacsony, Csuklyoni, Nadasi, Kerekdombi etc.). The soil is abounding in unexploited carbon-dio-xide. In the Tekse brook which crosses Valea Zalanului we can fish for trout, besides we can often see black stork. The commune formed in 2004, it has 1202 inhabitants. According to the census of 2002 Malnas had 550 inhabitants, 503 persons live in Malnas Bai and 149 in Valea Zalanului. The ethnical structure is the following: 5,90% are Romanians, 93,59% Hungarians, 0,33% Roms and a single person is of German nationality. Malnas has unrivalled possibilities in the realization of its bottling, balneary, mining and touristical values. On the slope ris¬ing beyond the village a ski-lift is being under construction. The settlement has a net of marked pathways. Its reformed and Roman Catholic churches are keeping historical monuments. In Malnas Bai we can view the region's most valuable object of applied arts namely the production line of the local carbon-dioxide factory (it originates from 1896 and is still operable).
The catholic church of Valea Zalanului was built in 1863, its patron saint is Ladykin. One of its bells dates back to 1750 thus we can suppose that here could be an older chapel as well. Here lives Karacsony Janos popular cutter craftsman.